At OCISO, we believe that no one should experience discrimination or barriers due to their sexual orientation and gender. Our LGBTQIA+ settlement counselor focuses on working with the LGBTQIA+ community and vulnerable populations to ensure they receive the supports they need to effectively navigate their settlement journey and also to increase awareness and support within the broader community for LGBTQIA+ newcomers.
The services provided include:
- Targeted referrals and information and orientation sessions based on individual and group needs.
- Crisis intervention as required e.g. in cases of family violence, LGBTQIA+, and minors
- As a focal point for supporting the LGBTQIA+ newcomer community in settling in Ottawa, we organize social support safe spaces for the LGBTQIA+ newcomer community to increase social engagement. Examples include participation in Capital Pride, hosting of guest speakers and other social events.
- Provide support with issuance of necessary documentation such as health card, social insurance number, work permit etc.
- Conduct risk assessments and respond to reports of abuse within the LGBTQIA+ community
- Work one-on-one with clients to ensure they are well informed about the refugee claimant process and receiving the appropriate supports and services
- Provide information and referrals for legal support, income support (OW), work permits, language classes, health services etc.
We are fortunate to collaborate with many community partners including University Pride Centers, Kind Space, Centertown Community Health Centre, MAX, Amnesty international, Trans Health Info Ottawa and others.
Eligibility: Convention Refugees, Permanent residents, naturalized Canadians, and work or study permit holders.
Hiba Farran: Direct 613-725-5671 ext. 612
Email: [email protected]