INTERNAL/EXTERNAL JOB POSTING
Position: Summer Youth Facilitator
Term: Summer 2021, June – August (10 weeks, Full Time – 35hrs/week)
Reports to: Manager of Youth Services (YOCISO)
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, by building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
Support YOCISO staff in the creation and facilitation of summer orientation programs for newcomer refugee and immigrant youth. The Summer Youth Facilitator will help to provide newcomer youth with group and individual support through recreational and educational programming designed to ensure a healthy integration journey.
- Work closely with YOCISO staff to provide a fun, safe, and educational summer program experience to newcomer immigrant and refugee youth.
- Assist YOCISO staff in designing, delivering, and facilitating educational and fun recreational activities and workshops on topics relevant for newcomer youth
- Assist with the supervision and facilitation of summer programming including, Newcomer Youth Centre and Newcomer Orientation Week (NOW) summer programs.
- Assist with the training and supervision of program volunteers.
- Provide group and one-on-one support to immigrant youth to increase their awareness of resources and opportunities in their community.
- Provide safe spaces and welcoming environment for newcomer youth
- Ensure high standards of cultural and linguistic service delivery approach within an anti-racist/anti-oppression policy
- Demonstrate a commitment to OCISO’s culture of respect approach
- Assist with set up and take down of activities and closing of facilities
- Provide support to YOCISO staff with general administrative assistance and office duties.
- 15 to 30 years old
- Canadian Citizen, permanent resident, or a person on whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act
- Enrolled as a post-secondary student in the previous academic year and intending to return to school on a full-time basis in the next academic year.
- Enrolled in post-secondary social sciences, humanities related field and/or equivalent experience
- Experience in working with youth from diverse cultural backgrounds
- Sound knowledge of different issues facing newcomers to Canada, specifically refugee and immigrant youth
- Strong facilitation and public speaking skills
- Flexibility regarding work location
- Strong work ethic, leadership and the ability to multi-task
- Strong communication, interpersonal, organizational and time management skills
- Fluency in written and spoken English is essential
- Ability to speak other languages that are spoken by the diverse communities in Ottawa is an asset
- Ability to work with a diverse group of youth in a sensitive, respectful and non-judgmental manner.
- Ability to work as a member of a team, individually, and with minimal supervision.
Application Deadline: June 18, 2021 by 5:00 p.m.
Please send a cover letter and a resume to Halimah Shaw, H.R. Administrator: [email protected].
We encourage applications from qualified people of all backgrounds, including women, members of visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, and persons with disabilities.
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavor to provide accommodation to persons with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and you require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org