Position: Employment Counsellor - Facilitator RAISE (Refugee and Immigrants Support to Employment)
Term: 35 hours per week, August 2022 - Indefinite
Reports to: Manager, Community Economic Development (CED) Program
OCISO supports immigrants through the journey of making Canada their home by providing creative and responsive programs that are culturally and linguistically appropriate, building community through mutual respect and partnerships, and by fostering healthy and inclusive spaces for open dialogue and healing.
As a member of the dynamic and growing Community Economic Development (CED) team, the incumbent delivers programming within the Refugee and Immigrants Support to Employment (RAISE) program to support immigrant and refugee clients with low official language proficiency and with work experience in the construction, trades, hospitality, service, and sales sectors to secure and maintain employment. The incumbent builds partnerships with Ottawa employers (Employ MENTORS), tailors pre-induction training sessions for clients and supports clients with employment maintenance within their employment.
- Working closely with the CED Manager facilitates program procedures, workflow, reports, and resources for clients and Employ MENTORS.
- Establish partnerships with Ottawa employers (Employ MENTORS)
- Develop outreach plan and actively promote programs within the community
- Consult with employers on induction/retention specific to their organization and establish client employment maintenance and development plan
- Conduct client intake; assess client’s employment readiness, and support clients pre and post-employment
- Provides one on one employment enhancing coaching and professional career counselling
- Develop and deliver pre-employment workshops for clients on Canadian Cultural Workplace, Workplace Rights, Health and Safety etc.
- Conducts follow-up and evaluation
- Matches clients with Employ MENTORS and facilitates client introductions to prospective employers, providing ongoing support to client and employer within the workplace
- Facilitates speed interview/information sessions with clients and Employ MENTORS
- Makes appropriate referrals to community partners
- Supports the Workplace Language Training co-ordinator to match clients with volunteer language tutors to deliver language training on-site at the client’s workplace
- University degree or college diploma in Human Resources, Marketing, Communications or a related field.
- 3+ years of experience in the areas of employment support/counselling, labour market integration and/or human resources
- Knowledge of the Ottawa labour market trends and challenges faced by newcomers to Canada
- Proven experience in developing partnerships within the Ottawa business community
- Excellent program coordination, organizational, and presentation skills
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Effective interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills
- Knowledge and experience with mainstream computer applications and database software
- Fluent in English – Arabic and/or French desirable
- Proven ability to work effectively in a multi-disciplinary and multicultural team environment
Salary & Benefits: $51,123 to $52,143 annually. Comprehensive benefits plan including health, dental, RRSP plan, and generous leave entitlement.
Application Deadline: Wednesday, July 27, 2022, until 5 PM (EDT)
Application Process: Please rename your cover letter and resume with your "First name_position title" (e.g., Chandan_HR Administrator) before applying and send it to Chandan Rathaur, Human Resources Administrator: [email protected]
OCISO is committed to accessibility in employment and to ensuring equal access to employment opportunities for candidates, including persons with disabilities. In compliance with AODA, OCISO will endeavour to provide accommodation to people with disabilities in the recruitment process upon request. If you are selected for an interview and require accommodation due to a disability during the recruitment process, please notify the HR Administrator upon scheduling your interview.
Please note, after the hiring process is complete and before joining, OCISO requires successful candidates to provide proof of their COVID-19 vaccination document as a condition of employment, subject to an Ontario Human Rights Code exemption. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in Canada for the duration of their employment.
Thank you for your interest in joining OCISO. We appreciate all applications. Due to the volume of applicants, we can only contact those selected for further consideration.