OCISO’s Counselling Program is uniquely equipped to provide counselling services to the immigrant and refugee population in the city of Ottawa. We offer clinical counselling to culturally diverse clients with migration and culture-related issues, and specialize in assisting survivors of war torture, trauma, political persecution and imprisonment.
We employ a wide variety of intervention techniques, which allow for a culturally sensitive and responsive therapeutic process. We do not just “respect” our client’s culture – we incorporate that culture into the therapeutic process
These services are private and confidential. We provide short-term, long-term and solution-focused counselling and psychotherapy services in English, French, Spanish, Arabic, Farsi, Dari, Nepali, Hindi, Tigrinya and other languages as needed. The program provides specific training to interpreters to work with counsellors.
Our Clients: Immigrants, Refugees, Refugee claimants, Citizens, Permit holders, Adults, Youth and Children
- Short-Term, Long-Term and Solution-Focused counselling
- Individual, couple, family and group counselling
- Spiritual Counselling
- Peer supports for men, women and youth
- Supportive and social groups for adults and youth
- Case conferences and guest lectures
- Presentations on cross-cultural counselling to other services providers
- Unique opportunity for field placement for Master-level university students interested in counselling training from a cross-cultural perspective.
- Trained in trauma-focused therapy (i.e. war trauma and torture survivors)
- Skilled and experienced
- Empathic and non-judgmental
- Culturally competent
- Holistic approach
- Aware of cultural barriers
- A member of professional association
Our counsellors engage in on-going professional development training to ensure the standards of service continues to exceed the recognized standards of practice in the field of counselling and psychotherapy.
Access to Counselling Services
Everyone is welcome. Services are available and accessible to all regardless of ethnicity, race, age, ability, gender, sexual orientation, income, and political or religious affiliation.
For more information about the Counselling Program or referral inquires:
Counselling Program Manager
Phone: 613-725-5671 ext. 322
Ottawa Community Immigrant Services
959 Wellington St. West Ottawa ON