On October 18, the annual fundraising dinner for the Marion Dewar Scholarship Fund (MDSF) was held at the Algonquin College Restaurant International.
Over 90 dedicated individuals attended the dinner and helped raise over $11,100 for the Fund!
The MDSF Scholarship Fund was established in 2008, in honour of the late Marion Dewar, former Mayor of Ottawa. The goal of the Fund is to provide financial support for three immigrant and refugee students going on to post-secondary education in the National Capital Region.
Special appreciation goes to our guest speakers:
- Rev. Anthony Bailey, our MC for the evening.
- Paul Dewar, our guest of honour.
- OCISO president Jessie Thomson.
- MDSF scholarship winner, Mouhamad Al Aarab.
- And to the organizing team of MDSF committee members:
Donna Holtom, Barbara Gamble, Jack McCarthy, Cathy Dewar and David Rain.
- To Cathy Dewar and the students and staff at Restaurant International for hosting the event and providing the food and drink that was enjoyed by all.
- To Algonquin College students: Monica Ethier, for officially opening the evening with a Territorial Acknowledgement and performance; and Bianca Charron for volunteering at the registration table and managing the raffle, which raised $825.
- To Thyme and Again Restaurant and Caterers for donating a gift basket given to the winner of the raffle, along with 2 tickets to Restaurant International.
- To OCISO’s Iryna Zamchevska, for the great photos.
- And to 11 year old Rowan Parkinson of the Maple Wishes Foundation for helping to create YOCISO fridge magnets given to dinner guests as a thank you.
Thanks to everyone who donated or contributed their time to this year’s Marion Dewar Scholarship Fund dinner!